- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 large sweet potato, cubed
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 400g can black beans, strained and rinsed
- 2 x 400g cans diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups vegetable broth/stock
- 1 tsp tamari
- Salt + pepper to taste
- Coriander + lime to garnish
1. Heat the olive oil in a large pot on medium heat, then add the onions and cook until translucent.
2. Add the garlic and cook until tender, ensuring not to burn it.
3. Add cacao, cumin, cayenne, coriander and cinnamon and stir continuously for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
4. Add sweet potato and quinoa and stir well.
5. Add the broth, diced tomatoes, tomato paste and tamari, and stir well again.
6. Stir in the black beans, ensuring everything is evenly combined.
7. Cover with a lid and reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 35 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve in bowls, and top with coriander and lime wedges.